And there’s a hand my trusty friend!

I kind of wanted to write a post about New Year and resolutions, and the song "Auld Lang Syne" kept playing in my head.  So I wanted to find out what the heck the song really means, so before I start rambling on about weight loss journeys, here is the English translation of the original Scot's version of the famous song:

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne ?

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.
And surely you’ll buy your pint cup !
and surely I’ll buy mine !
And we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.
CHORUS
We two have run about the slopes,
and picked the daisies fine ;
But we’ve wandered many a wearyfoot,
since auld lang syne.
CHORUS
We two have paddled in the stream,
from morning sun till dine ;
But seas between us broad have roared
since auld lang syne.
CHORUS
And there’s a hand my trusty friend !
And give us a hand o’ thine !
And we’ll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

So, here's my trusty (hopefully!) hand my friends:

I taught a lesson this Sunday based on President Dieter F. Uchdorf's talk "Of Regrets and Resolutions", and it really got me thinking about making resolutions and the steps we need to take to achieve those new goals.  First off, a resolution is different from a goal, true they can be the same thing, but resolutions mean that you are resolute in your decision, that you will stick to it.  How unfortunate that many of us toss aside our New Year's resolutions within a week of making them?  Well, NOT ME! I say. :)

My resolutions this year:

  • Loose 60-80 pounds.  (I think it's healthier to do a range for my goal.)
  • During my lunch break at work, I will NOT go out to eat.  I will stay in the break room, make one of my Medifast meals, read my scriptures, and have a little me time.  By doing this I will actually be accomplishing 3 of more of my resolutions.  (Read on for those 3.)
  • 1.  Spend less money, by not eating out as much.  I was eating out at least once a day before, not good on the wallet or the waistline.
  • 2.  Stick to my Medifast meals.  If I stay on task with my meals, I only have 2 more meals once I get home, another Medifast and a Lean & Green meal, so much easier to figure out once I'm home.
  • 3.  Have a daily scripture study.
  • Kneel to pray every night.
  • Go to the temple at least once a month.
  • And lastly follow President Uchdorf's advice by:
    • Spending more quality/meaningful time with my loved ones.
    • Remembering and work on understanding more my divine potential.
    • Be happy.
There you have it, my resolutions.  I will be working hard at them, and some of them will be a challenge, but I am resolved to make myself the best version of me possible. 

So the question is, what are your resolutions?  What are you doing to make you the best version of you?

Coming up next:  How?  How do we make ourselves successful in our resolutions?  And my goals (which are different than my resolutions).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell to 60

My Goals...NOT Resolutions

First Off...Introductions