To my friend(s)

One thing that happens when you start losing weight, and people notice, is that you kind of become this type of lighthouse.  People are always coming to me for suggestions and tips, for some motivation and encouragement, for some light along the path.  I realize that I have worked hard and been blessed, so I love to try and help in any way possible…but I feel nowhere near “inspiring” enough to actually help out.

My only wish is that I could do more.  I wish I could just snap my fingers and all my friends wanting weight loss success would have the drive to do it and actually achieve their goals.  Until I find those mutant powers inside of me (please, oh, please!?) I have my blog...and my email...and my phone to help out.

I just had another friend tell me that they want to start their own journey.  And so, I dedicate this post to them.

To this friend,

You are about to embark on an awesome journey!  But it’ll only be awesome if you make it so.  Your steps are up to you, your timeline is up to you, your success is up to you.  I’m not going to lie, it will be hard, you will be fighting against your natural instincts and sometimes those instincts will win.  Don’t get discouraged, it’s not worth it.  Just keep swimming.

Before you start, sit down and have a good conversation with yourself.  Why do you want to do this?  If your main motivation is “to look hot”…sorry, but you’re not going to go very far.  I’ve found that when I want to look hot, and when I hear it from others, the results don’t come fast enough, and the journey ends.  I mean it, really give it some thought.  It took me 26 years to really figure it out.  I have a long list, but my main motivation is my future family.  I want to do it for them.  So, why do you want to lose the weight and get fit?  Think about it.  Write it down.  Heck, start a blog…not really…that’s a lot of pressure.  ;)

Next, figure out the how.  How do you want to lose the weight?  A lot of people assume that I lost all of my nearly 70 pounds with diet and exercise, not true, I’ve basically only dieted.  True, I keep trying to throw in exercise…but it’s just SO hard.  Haha  After 68 pounds down, I’m just now starting to really train for a 5k, and I sometimes do pilates and yoga.  My suggestion?  Don’t start a diet and exercise regime at the same time.  Start the healthy eating, then when you, and your body, are used to it throw in some exercise.   

Also, give some thought about how you want to do your healthy eating.  Do your research.  For me, I found a program that worked great for my lifestyle.  Medifast was wonderful, but it’s not for everyone.  I wish I could still do it, but it just got too expensive.  I’m grateful for it though, because of it, I know what healthy eating is, and I’m able to continue my weight loss because of the habits I learned.

Now, I have a shake for breakfast, a light lunch and lean meats and veggies for dinner, with a few small, healthy snacks.  I’ve cut out sugar, most dairy, carbs, and red meats.  I’m a hamburger girl, and I love my pasta…but, I’ve learned from experience, they’re just not worth it.  Getting healthy is.  You’re probably going to be eating A LOT of chicken and turkey, and lettuce.  Haha Just come to grips with it now. 

Also, you need to learn what portions are.  Just because you get a salad at a restaurant doesn’t mean that the whole thing is one meal…I hate to break it to you, but it’s usually two.  The nutrition facts on your food will become your friends as you learn what you can, and can’t have.

Next: exercise.  I don’t have much to say, but don’t push yourself super hard at first.  You’re getting up your strength, and just because you’ve been losing weight, that doesn’t mean that you’re automatically fit.  It’s frustrating, yes, when you feel like your body should be able to do more, but just be patient.

Want some of my “secrets” and tips?  Okay.  J

  1. Drink lots of water…and I mean LOTS!  This will help you feel full and keep you hydrated.  Yeah, it’s a little bland, but it gets the job done.
  2. If you absolutely must have a soda…and don’t attack me for this…drink a diet one.  Yes, I have read a million articles about how horrible it is, so I get it!  haha  I only suggest diet soda so you’re not drinking your calories…it’s not worth it.  I was raised with soda, so it’s really hard for me to quit it…it’s one of those natural instinct things I just don’t want to fight.  Haha  So, yeah, I drink diet.  Sorry.
  3. Once a week, eat something that you want.  Now, you need to realize that this will set you back, but it’ll help your sanity.  Also, this meal isn’t “cheating”, it’s your choice, you shouldn’t feel guilty about it.  Guilt is a negative emotion, and for most people, negative emotions lead to more eating.  You own that donut, or pasta, or cheese fries, and love and enjoy every minute of it.  J
  4. Never forget your why.  When you’re being tempted to eat something you shouldn’t, think of your why.  Is it worth it?  Usually not.  (I feel like a hypocrite saying this one…I think I fall more than I fly.)
  5. You are a whole lot stronger than you think you are.  I promise.  I promise you’ll be able to say no, and it’ll get easier.  Don’t give in, and if you do, don’t give up.
  6. Involve the people in your life.  You don’t have to give every detail, and have them hold you accountable, you are an adult, that’s your job.  BUT, if you let them know, they’re able to encourage you and help you say no.

I actually dedicated a post to some of my secrets last year, if you want to read more or get a little more in-depth: Secrets, Secrets are SO fun!

In the end, my friend, I am always here for you.  When you just need some encouragement, I am here.  If you’re at a restaurant and you don’t know what to do, I am here.  When you just want to give up, don’t!, and remember that I am here.

You aren’t alone.  I’ve done it, I’m still doing it.  I’m always willing to help you along the way. 

You got this.  I got chu.  :)


Here's and updated picture...haven't posted one in a while.  Had to keep up with the bathroom pics, it's tradition now.  :P
68 pounds down!  ...and SO excited for X-Men tomorrow.  haha
Here's hoping those mutant powers come my way soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell to 60

My Goals...NOT Resolutions

First Off...Introductions