Why? Confidence. And How I Gained Mine.

The title of this post may be a little deceiving, as I was writing I realized there were two things that I really wanted to talk about the "why?" and how important confidence is in any journey to overcome something.  So read on, you wonderful people! :)
A lot of people have asked me "Why do you want to loose the weight?"  In my head I feel like it's obvious, but apparently I have to explain myself sometimes.  Also, if you understand the "Why?" it's easier to do the "How?"
So there are the more obvious reasons why I want to loose the weight: I want to be healthy.  I'm sick of my weight holding me back.  I don't want people to look at me and only see my weight.  I'm sick of walking around and if I hear people laugh, automatically assume it's because I'm big.  Also, I want to look good!  (AKA stinkin' hot! haha)
Then there are the not so obvious: sometimes when you're overweight it's harder to have children.  I know I'm not anywhere near that stage, but I'd rather get healthy now and not have to worry about it when my husband (wherever he is!? :)) and I start a family.  Also, I want to be able to help other people, and I feel like I'd be the biggest hypocrite out there if I can't even help myself.
Do any of you know what it's like to be held back by something?  It's poopy!  I feel like my weight has held me back my whole life, and I haven't fully lived.  I want to be able to go on a hike with confidence.  I want to be able to spontaneously go sky diving (and you better believe I'm going as soon as I hit 200!!!!)  I want to be able to talk to guys and not be afraid that all they're going to remember about me is my fluffy side. :)
Now, I know that this post may make some people think that I am lacking confidence in myself and that I'll need a reminder of how awesome/amazing I am.  I PROMISE you, I don't. haha  I know that I have a lot of great qualities, I have good character and values thanks to my wonderful parents.  I have a sense of humor, I love to love people, I can see the good, I know who I am and I'm not afraid to be that person.
This journey isn't about finding the confidence.  I feel like to start something like this you already need that.  If  you don't, you won't be as successful as you had hoped you would be.
I'm so excited for that day when I can know that I accomplished my goal.  When I know that I was a success in this endeavor.  I'm excited to know that I will no longer have to say no to things because I'm scared my weight will hold me back.  This excitement is helping me get through.  When I think of the future and how bright it is for me (and can be for you too!!) I can't help but smile.  I'm excited to see what doors will open because of my choices.
For those of my friends that are struggling,with weight or other problems, and want to overcome whatever it is, I want to give a tip.  Work on finding you first, find (at least a little) confidence.  It's not easy.  Sometimes, especially in this world, it's easy to forget how amazing we are, what we have already accomplished, who we have already touched.  But if you work on that, the confidence to get through your struggles will come.
I hate to get preachy, but here we go, real quick, I promise! :)
I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I know who I am, a daughter of a loving Heavenly Father.  I know that my life will be blessed if I make the right decisions.  My confidence comes from that knowledge and knowing that wherever I am, whatever I'm going through, my Savior, Jesus Christ will be right beside me and my Father in Heaven will ALWAYS listen to my prayers.
I am not saying these things for y'all to get baptized (although if your interested I know a couple people who would love to talk to you! haha) I just think it's important to believe in SOMETHING.  Realizing that there is something greater out there.  Realizing that people will be with you, is important.
If you want, below are three talks (one I've been reading over and over again since I first heard it in 2009 and the other my AMAZING roommate just showed me last week, and another one I'm not quite sure how I found it, but it's good!)  They have inspired me, have given me a boost of confidence and have given me more strength, to push through and be a success.
The first is by President Dieter F. Uchdorf called  "The Reflection in the Water"
The second, by Sister Louise Brown titled "Learning to Love Myself"
The third is by President James E. Faust titled "The Value of Self Esteem"
So, dear friends, good luck!  Know that I am always here for you, if you need a buddy or a confidence boost.  You are wonderful, and like I've said before, you have helped me already.
Good luck with your goals.  You can do it!  Just take it step-by-step and day-by-day.  (Oh dear, Full House flash backs! haha!)
Loves!

Comments

  1. I totally cried reading this... just what I needed to read :) you're great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Lisa! You're so wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell to 60

First Off...Introductions

A Letter